Amsterdam, August 20, 2020 – CarNext.com, Europe’s leading online marketplace for high-quality used cars, has released the results of its new Covid-19 Mobility Survey, which asked 3,000 people across six countries how Covid-19 has impacted their outlook on mobility.
The survey revealed that 81% of people in the countries polled are now more likely to drive than take public transport due to the pandemic, while 1 in 3 drivers would now consider buying a car entirely online.
Commenting on the survey, Jan Wouter Kleinjan, Chief Product & Marketing Officer, said:
“The private car is king in the new normal. Our new survey shows that a massive 81% of people are now more likely to drive than take public transport due to safety concerns, while 84% of people have considered driving rather than flying for their next holiday. We’ve also seen a definite shift towards e-commerce during the pandemic, with a third of people now actively considering buying their next car online. Clearly these are structural shifts that prove online car buying isn’t just a temporary trend but an essential part of the new normal.”
The key findings of the CarNext.com Covid-19 Mobility Survey driver survey are:
- There is a clear preference for the private car over other mobility solutions, with 81% of people surveyed now more likely to drive than take public transport due to the Covid-19 pandemic
- There has been a big shift in attitudes towards ride hailing and ride sharing solutions, with 60% of people surveyed saying they feel somewhat or very unsafe using such services
- Of those who have holiday plans this year, 84% say they considered driving instead of flying
- Almost a third of people surveyed (31%) are now more likely to buy a car online than before the pandemic
- Drivers would be more willing to buy a car online if home delivery was available (34%); if a 14-day money-back guarantee was offered (50%); or if a full maintenance history and mechanical checks were provided (65%)
– ENDS –
Notes to Editors
- The CarNext.com Covid-19 Mobility Survey was conducted in August 2020 by OnePoll, a market research company, in accordance with the Market Research Society's code of conduct
- The Survey includes responses from 3,000 drivers in six countries: France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain
- The Survey sample included 500 drivers aged 25-50 with an equal gender split in each of the countries polled
Tel.: +31 6 25 01 85 51
CarNext.com is a digital marketplace for high-quality used cars, seamlessly delivering any car, anytime, anywhere across Europe. CarNext.com’s mission is to provide customers with a fully online car buying journey which they can trust. Through CarNext.com’s B2C platform, retail customers can buy, finance and subscribe to a wide range high-quality used cars. All vehicles include complete maintenance history, 14-day money back guarantee, home delivery solutions and an extensive ancillary services. CarNext.com also operates a B2B online auction platform for professional buyers operating in more 30 countries, supported by a Trader app, cross-border buying and delivery options. All cars on CarNext.com come from the LeasePlan fleet as well as trusted third-party suppliers.
Download the full release